忍者ブログ

時代を見通す日本の基礎情報

日本を取り巻くアジア情勢の変化 世界の情報を辛口で伝える情報部ログ 世の中はめまぐるしくかわっていきます その中で取り残されない為の情報をお伝えします Changing Asian situation surrounding Japan Tell the world information by information Department log The world is rapidly mood In order not to lag behind in its informed the

Roy Moore: Trump defends Alabama candidate in misconduct claims





US President Donald Trump talks to reporters as he departs the White HouseImage copyright Getty Images

US President Donald Trump has backed a beleaguered Alabama Senate candidate who is accused of preying on teenagers.


He pointed out that Roy Moore "totally denies" sexual misconduct with a string of teenage girls, including a 14-year-old, when he was in his 30s.


"We don't need a liberal person in there, a Democrat," Mr Trump said of next month's election.


The White House previously said Mr Trump thought the Moore allegations were "extremely troubling."


Senate candidate's accuser: I was a child

On Tuesday, Mr Trump also assailed Mr Moore's Democratic rival Doug Jones, who is currently ahead in opinion polls by 47% to 42%.


I've looked at his record, he's terrible on the border," Mr Trump said as he left the White House for a five-day holiday in Florida.


He also voiced support for the scores of women who have felt emboldened to level sexual misconduct allegations since last month's downfall of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.


"Women are very special," Mr Trump said.


"I think it's a very special time, a lot of things are coming out and I think that's good for our society and I think it's very, very good for women and I'm very happy."


Mr Trump himself faced multiple sexual assault allegations during last year's election campaign, but he denies those claims.


The Republican president's legislative agenda could be imperilled if Mr Moore is beaten on 12 December - Republicans only hold a slim 52-48 majority in Senate.


Yet a number of Senate Republicans, including majority leader Mitch McConnell, have called on Mr Moore to quit the race.


The 70-year-old former Alabama supreme court judge and firebrand Christian conservative has refused to stand aside.


Seven women have accused Mr Moore of pursuing sexual relationships with them when they were teenagers and he was a 30-something prosecutor.


Two of them allege he assaulted them.


Two other women who were in their 20s at the time accuse him of making unwanted advances.


He denies the allegations.



A political dilemma

Analysis by Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington


After having been burned by backing the establishment-endorsed candidate in the Alabama Senate primary over Roy Moore, Donald Trump isn't making the same "mistake" twice.


His loyal supporters in Alabama largely continue to stand by the former judge, despite multiple allegations of sexual misconduct - and so does the president.


Mr Trump signalled his implied preference for Mr Moore by condemning the Democrat, whom he says is soft on crime and immigration.


It mirrors White House adviser Kellyanne Conway's warning of the dangers of electing a liberal to an important political office.


It's a rationale not unlike the one used by some uneasy Republicans last year to justify voting for Mr Trump following the Access Hollywood tape revelations and allegations that he had harassed or assaulted more than a dozen women.


Yes, Mr Trump's behaviour was inappropriate, but electing Hillary Clinton as president would be much, much worse.


Democrats face a similar dilemma with Senator Al Franken's admitted misdeeds. At what point must one put aside party loyalty and conclude that some alleged actions - and actors - cannot be condoned?


For Mr Trump, who notes that Mr Moore has repeatedly denied the allegations, the line has not yet been crossed.


Related Topics

PR

Argentina navy: Missing sub 'had called to report breakdown'

An undated handout photo made available by the Argentine Navy on 17 November 2017 shows the ARA San Juan submarine.Image copyright EPA
Image caption The vessel is the newest of the three submarines in the Argentine navy's fleet


Argentina's navy says its ARA San Juan submarine, which has been missing since Wednesday, reported a mechanical breakdown in its last communication.


The submarine, with 44 crew on board, disappeared 430km (270 miles) off the Argentine coast.


"The vessel surfaced and it reported a breakdown," naval commander Gabriel Galeazzi said.


Argentina's navy said a "noise" picked up by sonar on Monday during the search did not come from the vessel.


It is the second false alarm in the hunt for the submarine.

Capt Galeazzi, who heads the naval base in Mar del Plata, south of Buenos Aires, said that the fault reported earlier related to a "short circuit" in the sub's batteries.

The brother of a crew member earlier told local media that in a message before communications were lost his sibling had mentioned that the vessel was having problems with its batteries.


This is the first time that an official has mentioned the sub encountering mechanical problems.


However Capt Galeazzi said that mechanical problems were not uncommon and rarely posed a risk.


"A warship has a lot of backup systems, to allow it to move from one to another when there is a breakdown," he said.


The naval commander said that the submarine had been asked to cut short its mission, which was originally due to last until Monday, and go directly to Mar del Plata.


Map of the area where the submarine disappeared

According to local media, the captain of the ARA San Juan contacted the naval base again after reporting the mechanical problem.


In the message, he reportedly said the sub was heading towards Mar del Plata with all 44 crew members in perfect health.

Signals not from sub

The navy also announced on Monday that seven signals picked up at the weekend were not from the missing submarine's satellite phone.


The failed calls, lasting between four and 36 seconds, had been received on Saturday. They had raised hopes that the crew members were alive.

ARA San Juan submarine

Missing since 15 November


  • Built in Germany: 1983


  • Length: 66 metres


  • Crew: 44


  • Top speed: 45 km/h


  • Range: 22,224 km

Reuters

A huge search and rescue operation is continuing in the South Atlantic.


Specialist underwater rescue equipment has arrived in Argentina from the United States and more boats and planes have also joined the search, which has been hampered by heavy winds and high waves.


The ARA San Juan was returning from a routine mission to Ushuaia, near the southern-most tip of South America, towards Mar del Plata.


Related Topics

 

トランプに負けた最大の理由敗軍の将ヒラリーが冷静に語る

ヒラリー・クリントンが2016年のアメリカ大統領選を振り返った回想録だ。ヒラリーは民主党の大統領候補として選挙戦をたたかい、共和党候補だったドナルド・トランプにまさかの敗北を喫した。実際、ヒラリー本人も選挙戦の最後の最後まで自分が勝つと信じていたという。


 敗軍の将が今さら何を書くのか。そう反発する人も多いだろう。しかし、本書は発売と同時に大きな話題となり、ニューヨーク・タイムズ紙の週間ベストセラーリスト(単行本ノンフィクション部門)に10月1日付で初登場してトップの座を獲得した。その翌週もトップとなって売れ続け、9週連続でランクインした11月26日付ランキングでも12位だった

蒸し返された私用メール問題


『What Happened』(Hillary Rodham Clinton,Simon & Schuster)

 読む前から予想はしていたものの、驚くべき新事実が書かれているわけではない。のぞき見趣味的な好奇心を満足する本ではない。残念ながら、トランプ大統領に関する悪口もあまり出てこない。トランプ大統領に関する痛烈なコメントは次の例が目立つくらいだ。
Donald Trump spending about 20 percent of his new presidency at his own luxury golf clubs. I sometimes wonder: If you add together his time spent on golf, Twitter, and cable news, what’s left?
いたって真面目かつ冷静に、データを交えながら大統領選で負けた理由を分析している。意外に言い訳がましくなく説得ある語り口だ。トランプ大統領の暴走ぶりを日々みている今だからこそ、なるほどと思わされる。大統領選で負けた最大の理由はやはり、投票日が間近に迫るなかで、当時のコーミーFBI長官がヒラリーの電子メール問題を蒸し返したことだと、本書は強く主張する。
First, and most importantly, there was the unprecedented intervention by then FBI Director Jim Comey. His October 28 letter about the investigation into my emails led to a week of wall-to-wall negative coverage. A look at five of the nation’s top newspapers found that together they published 100 stories mentioning the email controversy in the days after Comey’s letter, nearly half of them on the front page. In six out of seven mornings from October 29 to November 4, it was the lead story in the nation’s news cycle. Trump understood that Comey’s apparent imprimatur gave his “Crooked Hillary” attacks new credibility, and Republicans dumped at least $17 million in Comey-related ads into the battleground states. It worked


「第一に、そして最も重要なのは、当時のFBI長官のジム・コーミーによる前代未聞の横槍が入った。わたしの電子メールが捜査対象になっているとの10月28日のコーミー長官の書簡のせいで、その後の1週間はわたしについてネガティブな報道ばかりとなった。アメリカの主要な新聞トップ5紙でみると、コーミー書簡が出た後の数日間に、メール問題について計100の記事が掲載され、そのうちほぼ半数は1面に出た。10月29日から11月4日の毎朝のニュースでは、7日間のうち6日は電子メールの件が全米トップニュースだった。コーミーによる歴然としたお墨付きを得て”いかさまヒラリー”という攻撃が一段と真実味を持つことをトランプは理解していたし、共和党は1700万ドルの資金をコーミーを絡めた広告に投じて激戦州で放映した。それがうまくいった」


 ヒラリーが国務長官時代に私用メールを使っていた問題だ。国家機密が漏れたのではないかなど大統領選の序盤で騒がれ、いったんFBIは問題なしとして16年夏に捜査を打ち切っていた。それを、投票日の11月8日が迫るなかで、わざわざコーミー長官は議会に対し新たな調査をしていると書簡を送り、メディアにもリークされた一件だ。その後、コーミー長官は11月6日に、新たな調査の結果でも問題なしと議会に伝えている。ヒラリーからすると、この選挙戦の最終盤で電子メール問題を蒸し返されたのは大打撃だった。FBI長官が選挙戦に影響を与えたと批判している。

主要メディアへの苦言も

 ヒラリーは本書の別の章では、歴代の国務長官や他の政府高官も私用メールをつかっていたとも弁明している。そもそも私用メールでは機密事項には触れていなかったと話す。自分の落ち度は認めながらも、自分だけが責められることに不満を隠さない。反対陣営が意図的にリークする情報を頼りに、誤った認識で報道を繰り返す主要メディアへの苦言も呈している。今にして思うと、ヒラリーに一理あると思わされた。大統領選を巡る主要メディアによる報道そのものに偏りがあると、次のようにクギをさしている。


 In 2008, the major networks’ nightly newscasts spent a total of 220 minutes on policy. In 2012, it was 114 minutes. In 2016, it was just 32 minutes. (That stat is from two weeks before the election, but it didn’t change much in the final stretch.) By contrast, 100 minutes were spent covering my emails. In other words, the political press was telling voters that my emails were three times more important than all the other issues combined.


 「2008年には、主なテレビネットワークの夜のニュース番組は計220分を政策に関する報道にあてた。2012年には114分だった。2016年にはわずか32分だった。(この数値は投票日の2週間前のものだが、最後までいっても大きくは変わらなかった)対照的に、100分がわたしのメールのことにあてられた。別の言い方をすれば、政治を報じるメディアは有権者に対し、わたしのメールは他の問題をすべて合わせたものより3倍も重要だと伝えたわけだ」


 右翼の大富豪が巨額の私財をつかって、ヒラリーを攻撃する情報を流して主要メディアも巻き込み世論操作している実態にも触れる。この点は、前回の本コラム「トランプの元側近・バノンの恐るべき正体」と同じ指摘だ。そこにさらに、ロシアがハッキングで得た情報をリークしたり、デマ情報を流したりした。有力新聞のジャーナリストたちでさえ、なにが真実かを検証する努力を怠り誤った報道をしたという。つまり、まじめな政策論議が大統領を選ぶ判断材料とならなかったというわけだ。

女性であるがゆえに……

 ヒラリーは自分が女性であるがゆえ嫌われているとも主張する。根本に女性蔑視という性差別が、政治の世界だけに限らずアメリカ社会にはあるとみる。友人でもあるフェイスブックCOOのシェリル・サンドバーグの言葉を引用しながら、自分が嫌われる理由を説明する。これはヒラリーの本音だろう。


 She told me that if there was one thing she wanted everyone to know from her book Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, it’s this: the data show that for men, likability and professional success are correlated. The more successful a man is, the more people like him. With women, it’s the exact opposite. The more professionally successful we are, the less people like us.


 「シェリル・サンドバーグは私に言ったことがある。彼女の著作『リーン・イン 女性、仕事、リーダーへの意欲』の中でひとつだけ、みんなに知ってもらいたいことがあるとしたらこれだと。データによれば、男性であれば、好感度と仕事での成功は比例する。男性は成功すればするほど、もっと人に好かれる。女性の場合、全く逆になる。女性は仕事で成功すればするほど、好きになってくれる人が減る」


 本書の別の個所では次のように心情を吐露する。


 Moreover, I have come to terms with the fact that a lot of people—millions and millions of people— decided they just didn’t like me. Imagine what that feels like. It hurts. And it’s a hard thing to accept. But there’s no getting around it.


 「さらに、多くの人、何百万人という人々が、とにかくわたしのことを嫌っているという現実を認めざるを得ない。どんな気持ちか想像してほしい。胸が痛む。受け入れるのが難しいことだ。しかし、避けては通れないことなのだ」


 女性差別だけではない。大統領選の投票所での出口調査のデータを分析し、トランプに投票した有権者たちが最も気にしていたのは、人種やテロリズムの問題であり、根本には人種差別の意識があるとヒラリーはみる。アメリカ国民にかつてはあった博愛や相互扶助の精神、寛容さや愛情といった大切な価値観がアメリカでは失われていると嘆く。トランプに投票した人たちにも対しても次のように手厳しい。


 And while I’m sure a lot of Trump supporters had fair and legitimate reasons for their choice, it is an uncomfortable and unavoidable fact that everyone who voted for Donald Trump—all 62,984,825 of them—made the decision to elect a man who bragged about sexual assault, attacked a federal judge for being Mexican and grieving Gold Star parents who were Muslim, and has a long and welldocumented history of racial discrimination in his businesses. That doesn’t mean every Trump voter approved of those things, but at a minimum they accepted or overlooked them.


 「多くのトランプ支持者たちはちゃんと筋の通った考えのもと投票したのだと思う一方で、62,984,825 人もの有権者がドナルド・トランプを選ぶ決断をしたというのは、不都合だが否定できない事実だ。セクハラを自慢し、メキシコ系だということを理由に連邦判事を批判したり、戦死した息子を悼む両親をイスラム系だという理由でないがしろにしたりする男を選んだわけだ。しかも、手掛けていた事業では長期にわたり人種差別をしていた記録が残っている男をだ。トランプに投票したすべての有権者がこうしたことを是認したわけではないだろうが、すくなくとも大目にみたわけだ」


 選挙で負けた直後は落ち込んだヒラリーも、すぐに気持ちを切り替え母校での講演などを気軽に引き受けるなど充実した生活を送る。本書の終わり近くには、次の世代への期待とともに、前向きなコメントが続く。ヒラリーは強がっているわけでもなく、あくまでも前向きな人なのだろう。最後に、そうしためげない気持ちを記した一節を引用して、本稿を終わりとしたい。


 There were plenty of people hoping that I, too, would just disappear. But here I am. As Bill likes to say, at this point in our lives, we have more yesterdays than tomorrows. There is no way I am going to waste the time I have. I know there is more good to do, more people to help, and a whole lot of unfinished business.



 「わたしのことも、とにかく消えてほしいと思っている人はたくさんいた。でも、わたしはここにいる。夫のビルが好んで言うように、この歳になると、これから迎える明日という日よりも、これまで積み上げてきた昨日という日の方が多い。残された時間を無駄に過ごすわけにはいかない。社会をよくするためにわたしがやるべきことはもっとあるし、もっと多くの人たちを助けなければならないし、やり残したことがたくさんあるのだから」


「むしろ中国人観光客が訪問できないようにしよう!」

「そろそろ始めなければいけない。つぶれた組織をまた作っている」。旅行会社を経営する筆者の友人はこう語った。中国人観光客を迎える準備をしているということだ。THAAD(高高度防衛ミサイル)問題の余波中国人団体観光客が途絶えて1年4カ月、観光業界に活気が戻りつつある。

筆者はその兆候を会社の前にある「高麗参鶏湯(サムゲタン)」の店で知ることができる。THAAD問題で消えた行列が最近また登場したのだ。会社の正門前にあるこの店にしばらく見えなかった観光バスが現れ始めた。ソウル明洞(ミョンドン)、ロッテ免税店、そして空港でも感知される雰囲気だ。

我々はすぐに忘れてしまう。中国から数日前までひどくやられていたが、業界はいつそんなことがあったのかというように中国人観光客に焦点を合わせている「組織をまた作っている」という友人は中国人観光客の財布を開くことにまた興奮している。

政府も同じだ。これほどやられても事態を繕いながら「封印」という話をする。これだから中国人が「韓国は中国の経済報復にお手上げした」と嘲弄する。中国は内心、快哉を呼んでいるはずだ。経済的に屈服させ、米国との距離を広げたと考えるからだ。政府がこれだから業界の反応は当然のことかもしれない。

THAAD事態が発生した当時、筆者は「ちょうどいい。この際、観光環境を変えよう」と主張した。ダンピング観光の慣行を正し、付加価値を高める商品を開発し、ソウル-済州(チェジュ)に限られた観光地を全国に拡大するための戦略を開発し…。中国人観光客が訪問しない間が最も改善しやすい時期だったからだ。1年半の間、我々はどれほど変わったのか。何が変わったのか。変わったものはない。したことも何もない。中国人観光客がまた押し寄せれば過去の積弊がまた出てくるに違いない。

どんな積弊か。筆者が2016年3月16日に中央日報「チャイナインサイト」で書いた「中国人観光客1人あたり5万ウォン…現代版人頭税?」というコラムを見ればよい。中国人観光客をお金を払って買ってくる「人頭税」慣行を取り上げた。韓国の旅行会社は中国人観光客を1人あたり5万4000ウォン(約5530円)ずつ支払って買ってくる。中国旅行会社からお金を受けても足りない状況で、むしろお金を払って連れてくる。このため観光客をショッピングセンターに連れていくしかない。「現代版人頭税?」と題した理由だ。政策当局者は必ず一度読んでほしい。韓国ダンピング観光の歪んだ姿を確認できる。

この積弊をどう清算するのか。私は難しいと考える。公務員はただ観光客数が何人増えたかという点だけに関心があり、業界はどうすれば中国人観光客の財布を開くことができるかを考える。韓国観光産業がどう崩れているかには関心がない。官僚は昇進に関心を持ち、旅行会社は中国人観光客の財布に目を向ける。さらに一部の朝鮮族旅行会社が業界をかき回す。このため変わるはずがない。

残された方法は一つだ。中国人団体観光客の入国を制限することだ。団体旅行客を処理する旅行会社に与えるビザ発行に上限を設けて、それ以上は入国できないようにすることだ誤解しないでほしい。個人で来る自由旅行客を減らそうというわけではない。むしろ自由旅行客をどう増やすかを悩まなければいけない)。

台湾ですでに施行している政策だ。今では過去の話になったが、台湾もかつて中国人観光客のため業界が動き出した。島に人が怒涛のように流れ込むと問題が生じるしかなかった。それで出した政策が団体観光客の入国制限だった。

大韓貿易投資振興公社(KOTRA)台北貿易館のパク・ハンジン館長が送ったリンク(https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1277044&ctNode=29711&mp=1)だ。開いてみれば台湾の大陸団体観光客制限規定が分かる。具体的な内容も出ている。2014年9月1日に発表(修正案)された資料はシーズン別に観光客数をどれほど制限するのかを規定している。

一部の人は「市場経済で可能なのか」と話すかもしれない。

台湾のようにしなければ市場が死ぬというのに、できないとはどういうことか。観光産業が崩壊し、韓国のイメージが安モノになっているが、しない方が馬鹿ではないのか。


うのみにできない韓国軍の発表板門店脱北兵士、実は階級が高い将校?

南北朝鮮の会談場がある板門店で北側の兵士が脱北した。韓国軍の発表によると、兵士は軍用車で北側が管理する「統一閣」という建物の前まで乗り付けた。側溝にはまったため車を乗り捨て、哨所の脇から南側に逃げてきたという。

 だが、統一閣前の道路に側溝はなく、そもそも南側から見えない場所にあるゆえに韓国軍の発表をうのみにできない。なぜ車を乗り捨てたのかは謎だ。


 兵士がすり抜けた哨所は韓国側に向かって下り坂で植木も多く、見通しが悪いので、脱北しやすい地形になっている。そもそも、幾重ものゲートがある板門店に車で入れる人物は限られる階級が高い将校ではないだろうか。


 将校であれば「腹減った」「南で豊かな暮らしがしたい」という単純な理由ではなく、複雑な事情を抱えて脱北した可能性が高い。ヘリで病院に運ばれた兵士は危篤というが、奇跡の回復を遂げて、北の最前線部隊で起きた事情を明かしてほしい。(北朝鮮ウオッチャー、金正太郎)